Up to 40% Off DIY Essentials Save up to 40% on top picks in Tools & Home Improvement. Save money and make your home look like a million bucks. Shop now.
Square Shade Sail Collection  Pergola With Canopy

Square Shade Sail Collection Pergola With Canopy
Up to 40% Off DIY Essentials Save up to 40% on top picks in Tools & Home Improvement. Save money and make your home look like a million bucks. Shop now.

Up to 40% Off DIY Essentials Save up to 40% on top picks in Tools & Home Improvement. Save money and make your home look like a million bucks. Shop now.


Pergola With Canopy

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

How to Build a Pergola With the Help of a Plan

If you wonder how to build a pergola or feel intimidated at the expectation due to lack of expertise in Diy or carpentry, then you may want to read this article because I was exactly in the same situation and I did it, salvage a good deal of money in the process. I built my own pergola on the front patio, but it could have been on any other area such as the orchad or the backyard. Ready made kits are beautiful and stylish but also costly and this is why I decided to build a pergola the do it yourself way.

I had an idea that I wanted my pergola made of wood, not aluminium or vinyl, as wood is by far the prettiest and coziest of the materials as well as the most pliable during construction. However, I had never built a pergola before. So without any carpentry perceive I sought the guidance and help of a local foreman who in case,granted me with a set of designs to choose from. I then picked my custom made plan to match a 2 level first floor deck over the house front patio in order to increase the shady area.

Pergola With Canopy.

I bought the materials and tools, namely red wood, nuts, bolts and nails, and borrowed few others like galvanic angle grinder, circular saw, and a drill in expanding to portion tape and lines for alignment. A friend of mine helped me in the construction that only took a long weekend to accomplish, working flat out.

How to Build a Pergola With the Help of a Plan

This first important step in construction a pergola is laying down the foundations for the main posts. So we dug the holes, found the right levels with a uncomplicated transparent water hose (no Gps needed), put down the iron nets to reinforce the concrete, and poured cement into the holes to prepare a foundation base. This was done to preclude the posts from sinking or interesting in the future. We then let the cement set in until the next day while we cut and fulfilled, all the wood parts.

Next day we positioned the main posts into the holes and propped them up with temporary sticks to keep them in position and aligned. The alignment was achieved with nailed horizontal lines and the vertical angle with a weighted line. Once done that, we bolted all the pre-cut main beams to connect all the posts and close the buildings like a box. Only then we went on to pour extra cement in the holes on top of the foundation bases and close the holes.

Finally, we nailed all rails with a pre-cut span wedge to distance them evenly. The whole pergola was now built and approximately ready. The final day was dedicated to the finishing touches. I did some sand papering here and there and general angle polisher work to flat up imperfections before going onto painting. Red wood, cedar or other high ability woods are weather defiant anyway, but I decided to stain my pergola with a resin based wood paint for extra security from Uva and rain.

The end consequent was a beautiful slick pergola contribution a lot of shade and plenty of joists for flowers and plants to hang on. I built my pergola on the patio area, so after the construction I tiled the whole patio floor surface the foundation holes, but this was part of the patio construction scheme that was done at a later stage.

How to Build a Pergola With the Help of a Plan

Tags : Natural Gas Grills Samsung Wireless Surround Sound Major Pettigrews Last Stand Merrell Hiking Boots

No comments:

Post a Comment